Friday, December 29, 2006

About My Family

I have been married for 6 years and have a 5 year old son. Right after our third wedding anniversary my husband got sick. He contracted a virus that traveled to his heart and attacked one of his valves. He had his first open heart surgery in May of 2003 (age:31) to replace his aortic valve with a donor valve. That was one hard day. 7 hours waiting for the word that all was OK. We were unaware at the time that he had a weakened immune system. He went the next 3 years tired and catching colds and sinus infections.

In January 2006 he had a lung infection. In April 2006 he had his third heart infection. And in August 2006 (age:34) he had his second open heart surgery to replace his aortic and mitral valves with mechanical valves. The second time around was a little bit easier to handle. The day of the surgery was also school orientation for my son. Since it was going to be about 9 hours before the surgery was done I took him to orientation! People were shocked! But I had my brother in law at the hospital ready to call me if anything happened. After surgery the surgeon said he cannot get another heart infection or we risk having to do another heart surgery. My mothering skills kicked in at that point! Cleaning house and making sure my son did not get sick were top priority. But, my son had two ear infections and a sinus infection within the first 3 months of school. Public school has lots of germs! Then last but not least in November 2006 my husband had a pacemaker put in because his heart muscle was only pumping at 15%. Now…with all the mechanical stuff in his heart he definitely CANNOT get sick again! They will have to go in and take the pacemaker out and start all over.

So..my life consists of lots of cleaning, taking care of my husband and son, oh…and our 2 dogs and 3 cats. I also have a small web business that I started before all the madness began 4 years ago. I’m pretty busy!

No comments: