Sunday, February 25, 2007

Try a Third!

The cost of dryer sheets is going up, and I struggle with the thought of spending so much money every year on thin little sheets that take the static from my clothes. In January I went cold turkey and stopped using them. This did not work well! My skirts had static and would creep up as I walked. Not a pretty site! So, I have decided to challenge myself and see how much is necessary to use, and how much it would cost me a year.

Some may call me cheap. But with my husbands many cardiologist appointments, and 8 prescriptions to fill every month, money can be tight. I try to find simple ways to save a little money. Dryer sheets are definitely on the top of the list! I have to wash all bedding, blankets, and towels weekly to keep the house clean for my husbands low immune system.

So, here we go! I purchased 1 box of dryer sheets. They are a pack of 4o Target brand for $1.99. They smell just like Bounce, and are about $ .85 less. I cut each sheet into thirds and use 1 per load. I found that the third did just fine in removing the static, and the clothes don't smell flowery(my husbands request!). That gives me enough for 120 loads! About 3 months worth.

If I used 1 box per month(usual amount) I would spend $25.68 per year on dryer sheets. Using the third method, I will spend $8.56 per year. That's $17.12 a year saved! That's enough for the 3 of us to have lunch at our sons favorite restaurant! Or, enough for my husband and son to go see a movie! Or, enough for my son and I to purchase popcorn, and ride the train at the zoo! You get the picture! I can live with using a third so I can enjoy happy moments with my family!

Can you????? I challenge you to try a third!! Let me know if it works for you, and how much money you save!

Happy Saving!!

No comments: