Monday, March 19, 2007

Giving Food To Those In Need

My sister in law gave me a book around Valentines Day called 'Greatest Secrets of the Coupon Mom'. I have chosen this as my March book. There are a lot of great ideas about how to use coupons to save the most money. But, there is also a chapter on giving food to the needy. The author shows ways to use coupons to purchase food for pennies or free to give to the needy.

Last August, when my husband had his 2nd heart surgery, money was very tight. We lived on what we had in our savings account and tried to live by the bare minimum. By November my husband was in the hospital again having a pacemaker implanted to keep his heart pumping, and we were broke. Thanks to our church, we had food for Thanksgiving and beyond.

I think it is important to help those in need. There are people that are hard working, but have something tragic happen that changes everything. There are single parents working to keep a roof over their children's heads, and there just isn't enough money for food at the end of the week. There are elderly people who just aren't getting enough social security to help pay all their bills.

So, I have chosen to place the items I purchase at ridiculously low prices or free in a box for the needy. There is a food mission about 10 minutes from my house that it will go to when I fill it with much needed items.

Our church helped us in our time of need, and now I can help someone in their time of need. It's a good feeling passing on the favor!

I encourage everyone who reads this to do the same!!

No comments: