Thursday, March 22, 2007

Minister to others

Today I had the chance to minister to a woman who's husband just had heart surgery. She is one of my husbands clients. I do not know her well, but felt the need to help her. I have experienced my husband having 2 heart surgeries in the last 4 years and felt the need to share my knowledge with her.

It started yesterday when we went to the hospital to sit with her through the surgery. When we couldn't find her we asked a nurse if she had been there. The nurse said she was too nervous to wait through the 7 hour surgery. We called her at home, and basically invited ourselves to her house to help comfort her. After about an hour I offered to drive her to the hospital Thursday morning and stay with her as long as she needed me.

So this morning she called and said she definitely wanted me to go with her. I picked her up and told her it was completely normal to be nervous, and scared. I also tried to prepare her for how her husband might look right after surgery with all the tubes.

We got to the hospital and I could tell she was getting more nervous. I just kept telling her it was ok, and that he will be fine. I went over some post surgical info with her while the nurses were taking his breathing tube out, and tried to reassure her he will be ok. She went in to see him and spent about 45 minutes in his room. I got caught up on phone calls in the waiting area, and didn't even notice how much time had gone by.

After we left the hospital, she thanked me for going with her and for helping to prepare her to see her husband after surgery. It was such a good feeling and a huge relief knowing that I could share what I had gone through to help her.

I have often wondered why God had me endure 2 heart surgeries with my husband. It's an emotional roller coaster, and not something I want to do again. I have also wondered what I would do with the knowledge I had. Today I found out! And I am happy for it! I have been waiting for God to use me, and today he did! What a great feeling!!

Lesson learned: That God will use you in all areas of life. It doesn't have to be about quoting scripture, or bringing someone to know Jesus. It can just be about being there when someone needs you. God put me there today, and I thank him for it!

No comments: